Auf Wiedersehen.





So this is it, one of the best years of my life, no maybe the best year of my life, is almost over. How do I even begin to deal with that?? Well I haven’t really. I think I’m still in denial about the whole thing because I spent last week distracting myself in Deutschland visiting some fellow year abroaders (Iwrote most of this on a 10 hour coach journey!).

But now there’s no escaping it because it has inevitably come to my last night in Vienna!!My last night before I fly back to normal, boring non-year abroad life (no offence England).

Don’t get me wrong I am looking forward to being back (I’m weirdly excited about being able to go to Tescos for some reason) and I’ve got loads to look forward to this summer- latitude festival, Asia – but I can’t help but feel emotional. I am never going to have a year abroad again!

That part of my life is overrr, finito, fertig.

*does a little cry inside.

But I guess you can’t have the time of your life forever, you’ve got to do some hard work sometime (final year I’m looking at you, p.s please be nice to me).

But that’s really what the past 4 months here in Vienna have been. “The time of my life” –how else can you describe what was essentially a 4 month holiday? I feel kind of sick about being so disgustingly sweet and positive about it all but can’t lie to you guys.

It was the best.

Italy- you were a little harder to get along with but the year abroad wouldn’t be complete without the lows as well as the highs. And hey I consoled myself with Gelato which makes everything immediately better.

So the question is, how do I sum up this past year? The crazy stuff (and there’s been plenty), the good bits and the why-did-I-even-come-to-this-bloody-country bits and the opportunity to travel.  It’s just too immense to put into one sentence and when I try and comprehend everything that’s happened this year it’s overwhelming, but one things for sure, I know that I am much much better off because of it.

I know, I know I’m making myself sick too- I’m turning into one of those people who go on about “broadening your horizons” and “growing as a person” but it’s true. That kinda stuff really does happen.


So try not to roll your eyes next time someone says that…unless they’re going on about their GAP YAAH. 

Oh and you may not believe it..but after 4 months in Austria, your utter distaste for beer will slowly transform (without you even realizing it) into I can drink this stuff and actually enjoy it -as you will find out when you go to a beer festival where the only option is of course...beer.

So Prost! Vienna and who knows, maybe I'll be back one day. 

Tschüüüüüüüüüs!





Comments